Thursday, February 03, 2005

Violinists/Fiddlers:

Have you ever watched a violinist and wondered 'why is their head SO into the music, always moving along with their arm?' Seriously, every solo violinist I've seen gets into the groove, but only with their head and arm. "Flight of the Bumble Bee" is murder to play, I'm sure, but seeing it performed is like an epileptic seizure on stage. I was tempted to shout "for the Love of God, turn off the strobe light", but there wasn't one on.

Does their neck eventually become permanently sideways? The only reason I wonder this is because yesterday I fell asleep with my neck kind of sideways for about 10 minutes and when I woke up it really hurt. They have to practice for hours and hours, which is likened unto work. I was resting. If my neck hurt from resting, wouldn't theirs hurt worse from work?

Do they date each other? It would seem the ideal mate for a violinist would be another violinist. Being that their heads would always tilt in the same manner, and quite possible, at the same angle, therefore, when turned toward one another, their mouths are lined up for kissing to avoid bumping noses.

Does a fat violinist with a double chin need a bigger chin rest on the instrument? Speaking of fat violinists, they'd be good at eating tacos...in fact a seasoned violinist ONLY eats tacos - the food designed to be eaten with a tilted head per that commercial a few years ago. Ok, I made that up, I don't know what they eat.

Does a violinist ever rebel and become a fiddler? Are they shunned by society for "crossing over"? Why the rift?

Fiddler's are FUNNY. Especially in blue grass. They sit there in overalls and keep the beat by exaggeratedly stomping their foot up and down. Fiddler's are usually the skinniest person in the bluegrass band too. I wonder how many calories stomping one foot can burn and, does this create a muscle imbalance in their legs? Hmmm, considering most fiddlers in the US are probably in Appalachia, having a leg imbalance could be an asset. It helps walkin' on the hills folks. In light of this, I think Fiddler's have a "leg up" on violinists. (ba-dum dum crash) Besides that, the fiddler can always date the hot chic whiskey jug blower whose lung capacity is just amazing. And, once the band finishes their set, you can do laundry on the washboard or eat dinner with the spoons! Try getting any functionality out of a classical musician's instrument.....

2 Comments:

Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Kristine - Thank you! The things I wonder about...makes me wonder about me. Does that make sense? (Pass that jug of moonshine!)

2/03/2005 4:25 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Amanda - Did you ever get a sore neck? Taco day at school was always the highlight of the month!

2/07/2005 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home