Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Go Fly A Kite!

Let's go fly a kite! Up to the highest height!

Y'all remember that song from Mary Poppin's? Remember how happy the kids were to go flying a kite? Well, now I know why.....

My cousins, Gourda*, Bongo*, and I met for dinner last night at a Mediterranean restaurant. After being served our drinks by an 8 year old girl (hello child labor laws!) We order food. Mmmm hummus - 500,000,000 people in the Middle East eat hummus according to the menu. Not as many in the Midwest I'd venture to say, but regardless, Iz good? Yea? Hell yeah! On a freshly made pita! I'm thinking of going back tonight! Don't even get me started on the baklava! "Greek to me" now means I LOVE IT!

Exiting the restaurant we all experienced major gusts of wind (not in the bodily function type way, but in the prevailing westerlies kind of way). Prompting Gourda to suggest we "go fly a kite".... in the literal sense, not in the "go take a long walk off a short pier" kind of way. We stopped, got the kites out of Bongo's trunk, which evidently had been there for 5 years, and headed to a church nearby with 8 consecutive soccer fields behind it - plenty of room for kite flying!

Gourda had a bird shaped kite with a long curly tail. Bongo had one of those kites with two strings that you're supposed to be able to steer in circles or whatever. I had a simple triangular kite. Gourda asked me if I wanted "the bird" to which I retorted, "no thanks, I've already got two right here." (My middle fingers).

So I take off from soccer field number one and run and run, and run, and run, all the while letting my string unspool, and finally at field number 5, my kite caught some wind! Which took all of MY wind! I was huffing and puffing like a freight train! Anyhow, the kite kept pulling asking me to go "higher and higher" and I gave in and let it go all the way to the end of the spool! You could barely see the sucker! Why is holding a piece of string attached to freaking flying piece of fabric with sticks through it so enjoyable? Who knew? I'm not sure if the clouds saw an unidentified flying object and wanted to investigate, or what, but these big thunderheads started rolling in.

Well, finally, after several attempts, Gourda got the bird up (snicker). However, poor Bongo's kite must have been in a no fly zone, because other than when he threw it across the field in the package, it didn't leave the ground for more than a nanosecond.


None of us wanted to make the news as human lightening rods, so we reeled our toys in. Of course that takes forever! But in the end it was worth it all......such simple pleasures last forever.

And speaking of flying........ back at the apartment, Gourda handed me her "whittle-itty-bitty-baby Elfina" - a tiny Chihuahua to watch for a minute. Well I was sitting slouched in a dinning room chair and the creature was walking all over my stomach like a baby on a waterbed, being cute and whatever. So I made bird noises, like I do to all dogs, and this one decides to flip out! She's jumping up and down, flopping like a fish, and I"m going here and there and everywhere trying to catch her so she doesn't fall on the floor. Unexpectedly she runs up my shoulder before I could catch her, jumps, landing nose first on the carpet. Poor thing was ok after some sneezing fits. But now I'm sure it hates me. Whenever she came near me the rest of the evening her tail was tucked between her legs. I did give a peace offering of a doggie treat in attempts to smooth things over, but time will tell.

Observation: I'm good at flying a kite, I'm not good at flying a Chihuahua.

*Names have been changed to protect identities of those involved. Poor things would hate to have their real names on this site.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want baklava now. The Muse was supposed to send Weeeee! home with some when she visited ATL. But, alas, no baklava for Boozie.

7/19/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I last flew a kite when one of the thousands of hurricanes passed overhead last year. The kite wound up in the tree. Twice. I took that as a sign that the winds meant a stronger storm. Wrong.

So, like you, I can't fly a kite very well. I also learned I can't predict the weather. (Heck, neither can the guys on TV, but at least they get paid to be wrong.)

I hope no animals were harmed in the writing of this post.

7/19/2005 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know where to get a kite. I need to buy one for the beach next week!

7/19/2005 7:17 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

The last line made me spit! That was funny. I haven't had hummus in years, fucking wisconsin!

7/19/2005 7:46 PM  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

Used to fly lots of kites when I was young. It is a peaceful experience. I should re-kindle that emotion. It is about time.

7/19/2005 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i havent even considered flying a kite in ages. that could be fun! i'm haring another hash on aug. 13th. maybe i'll make a "kite check" in the park.

hummus. and wierd food. you are a brave man. i think i'm being brave if i eat broccoli. i'm jealous of your ability to eat wierd foods. and yes, i know they arent that wierd of foods...but to me...if it's not red meat or potatos, it's out of my league.

7/19/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

boozie - baklava is the perfect end to a wonderful meal. I'm sorry you didn't get yours this time :( I'll send ya some :)

fred - kite flying should be taught in gym class! I don't think the puppy was harmed (unless the injury didn't show up for a few days) eeeek!

weeeeee! - Kmart used to have them, but I don't know where they are anymore. At the beach try Wings (if you're going to Myrtle).

rachael - no hummus? what do you eat on a pita?

jack - there's nothing like rediscovering the simple pleasures of childhood that you've forgotten.

vx - you've gotta try Greek food! They have potato dishes AND red meat! (lamb and beef)

7/20/2005 7:44 AM  
Blogger erl said...

did the chemistry b/w mary poppins and george banks ever freak anyone else out? i really felt like they were about to have an affair at any moment. disney is SO perverted.

7/20/2005 11:04 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Liz - it did seem like they were about to get it on. Hey maybe a spoonful of sugar helps the daddy go down on the nanny.

7/20/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger TYSEN said...

Greek for is good. If you are in St. Petersburg, FL there is an awesome joint that make the best falafel near the Baywalk Muvico and shops...

Why can't all those people in the Middle East just sit down together and have some nice hummus and fresh pita? That would solve all their problems... now Hommas and pita might not work for everybody...

And there are some places where you can get hummus in Wisconsin! If you really need some you could probably visit my grandma, she grew up in Lebanon.

And I do have this nifty kite, I bought it in St. Augustine near the fort, but I have yet to fly it... :(

Stunt kites (the triangle ones with two strings) are great for terrorizing people on the beach.

7/20/2005 2:38 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I fill pitas with tabouleh, cause I can make that myself, but I suck at making hummus! Anyone know a good recipe? (I haven't like anything I've tried from a mix)

7/20/2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

Weird. You know what I had for dinner last night? Eggplant hummus on a fresh-toasted pita (sprinkled with a little bit of cumin). And dessert? Baklava. Seriously.
Hummus and baklava are my favorite things ever. I could eat hummus every day and not get tired of it.

It's official, you need to come to Atlanta just so we can have hummus and baklava.

7/20/2005 2:56 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Tysen - Yeah, if that many of them eat it, why not eat it together! Good point! Stunt kites only work if they fly! ha ha. My cousin's didn't fly.

7/20/2005 3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still kinda' pondering how three adult men just happened to pull three kites out of one of their car trunks. Were they the 8-year-old waitresses?

Okay, wait. I can't talk. Last year for Easter, my mom sent me a kite.

Okay, never mind. I get it.

7/20/2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Rachael - I haven't the foggiest idea of how it's made. Chic peas, garlic, and olive oil?

muse - coincidence? I think not! We're just awesome like that. Now I definitely know we could chill for real in ATL eating Greek!

7/20/2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

allison - Gorda is a lady, and the kite in Bongo's trunk was from a vacation like 5 years ago (shows how often he cleans his trunk. Ironically, his trunk is like Mary Poppins bag, anything and everything can be found in there.

So did you fly the kite your mom sent you?

7/20/2005 3:24 PM  
Blogger Red said...

cute! the kite stuff, not so much the little dog issues...

7/21/2005 1:46 AM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

poor taco bell puppy!

I don't even know what baklava IS. I've heard of it, but we don't have any greek restaurants here. or thai. or, like, anything.

7/21/2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nope. It's still sitting my ridunkulously overstuffed closet. And it's a Barbie kite too! She's sad. I should unfurl her and let her fly to the highest heights, no?

7/22/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops, and sorry Gorda!

7/22/2005 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home