Monday, August 01, 2005

TRIP - Sunday, July 24 - Departure and arrival

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I appreciate it very much.

Here's some of what happened, work's going to be killer for the next few days, though, so I'm not sure how much detail I can pull out of my brain.

7/24/05.......
3:45 AM - Oh the pain of waking up before the sun. Oh the joy of pushing the snooze button. I really get out of bed at 4 AM, showered, and put on the clothes I laid out from the night before. Yes, it's true, I actually did lay the clothes out for the first time in my life!

4:45 AM - 2 friends arrive. my roommate and I pile our stuff in and go to meet the others further along the route.

5:15 - 7:00 AM - arrive at C.H.'s house. Everyone else is ready, except K.C., she's fallen asleep on the chair (again). After some rearranging we hop in the cars. C.H. drives her Sante Fe, V.S. is the co-pilot, me and D.D. fill up the back. After running a red light that WON'T change after 3 cycles, we run the mo'fo! No cops, no worries! C.H. and V.S. talk non-stop. Observation, C.H. talks, and drives, and the more she talks, the faster she drives. At one point we're going 85mph past a cop. Good Times! (but not condusive for sleep).

7:00 AM - stop in Wheeling, WV for a healthy McDonald's breakfast. Mmm Go cinnamon rolls and coffee. K.C. thinks her yogurt is really butter. I don't taste despite the whole "you gotta try this, it's so gross" temptation.

7:30 AM - back on the road again. We've switched up cars, and I'm in the Allerro w/ M.I., the most gracious and beautiful trip planner. A.M., whom I'd just met at church the Sunday before. We all have a good mix of conversation, music, book reading, and silence to pass the time.

NOON - we're getting hungry, have to pee, and we're on I-270 in Maryland heading towards DC. Uhm, traffic galore. No major food stops, and wow, what fun going 85 mph with the flow of traffic. I gotta take a weekend trip just to drive in DC to work on my race car skills. After merging on to I-495, and then hitting a traffic jam at the exit ramp to I-95, we see an exit ahead worth taking, only because our collective bladders are going to burst! Gas station in sight!!!! We park and run in only to find 30 other people have the same idea as us.....oh well. My bladder is REALLY strong now from that test of endurance.

3:30 - We switch cars again. I'm in the Pilot as the co-pilot. D.D. is driving. M.I. and Cg are playing the "Road Sign Game" in the back. A quick cell phone call to C.H. reveals them 40 minutes ahead of us! "Ok, keep talking and you'll be there in 1/2 an hour, motor mouth!"

The coolest part about this leg of the trip was passing under the ocean in a tunnel! Weeee!

6:30 - Traffic to Corolla wasn't too thick, just slow. It's a two lane road the whole 25 miles, but well worth it. The Outer Banks rock!

6:45 - sleep. Some people go to the store and get tons of food to stock up the house. Speaking of house.... It's a 3 story on a corner lot with ocean views. 1st Floor: 2 bedrooms 7 beds, 1 bath, patio to a pool, and outdoor shower and bathroom (guy's floor) 2nd Floor 3 beds, 2 baths (the girl's floor) the hot tub is on the balcony. 3rd floor: giant living room surrounded by windows, kitchen, dinning room, a few steps up to a reading nook/outlook. More deck/balcony all the way around with a huge gas grille. When the food arrives, we make burgers and everyone goes to the beach defying the "wait 1 hour after eating before swimming rule". We take a volley ball and football and walk a little. Brrr the water is chilly, but refreshing! The sky is about the most awesome thing I've seen, wispy white, pink, and orange clouds lit up against a nearly aqua blue sky, sunset arrived in style to welcome us! The stars pop out, we all jump in the pool, then the hot tub in shifts, and then back to the pool. I gotta crash, YO! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

7 Comments:

Blogger erl said...

that sounds awesome. im jealous of the house.

8/01/2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger e$ said...

I always eat McDonald's breakfast when I have to wake up early. And afterwards I always feel horribly sick adn disgusting. You'd think I'd learn my lesson!

8/01/2005 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The coolest part about this leg of the trip was passing under the ocean in a tunnel! Weeee!"

So does that mean you were thinking of me when you went into the tunnel under the ocean? :-)

8/01/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

I MISSSSSSSSED YOU!!!!!!
<3

Glad you're back, sunshine.

8/01/2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

That sounds like the perfect ending to a first day. The place sounds wonderful.

8/01/2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Sounds like the hot tub was worth the whole trip!

What a house - you should think about buying it.

8/01/2005 10:29 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

erl - I'd have to vote it the best East Coast vacation house (in my price range).

becky - that was all handled by a friend, I believe it was through an internet search.

e$ - if I eat anything other than breakfast there I get sick....maybe it's the grease they use? YUCK.

weeeee!- Yes, actually I thought about you and boozie when we passed through the DC area. If I'd known you were in Nags Head we could had a crazy night of drinking!

muse - missed you to, beautiful!

drink jack - it's definitely on my list of "gotta go back again" places.

fred - yup, the hot tub was relaxing and that's what I needed. As for buying the house, I put in an offer, but when I wrote down that I'd fund payments with future lottery winnings provided I win, they didn't seem as excited to give me the keys.

8/02/2005 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home