Wednesday, August 03, 2005

TRIP: Tues - Wed., July 26-27 - Lasagna, Crabcake, and Norfolk

Considering my memory was/is cloudy from this point on, I can't give an hour by hour run down so here goes:

Tuesday morning I woke up at 10, but didn't get out of bed, I had a killer headache from those damn Nor'Easter drinks. So I managed to fall back to sleep after dreaming that I took a Lortab. Luckily some dreams are SO real they may have been true, but one can never be sure. Anyway, I woke up AGAIN at noon, slathered on sun block, and hopped in the pool. After many attempts at getting comfortable on a floating taco, I just laid back on my noodle instead. Oh, before you think I'm a big perv. The floating taco is what we call those mess rafts with a tube/wire around the outside. When you lay in them they kinda wrap around you like a taco. The one I was using was being difficult and just didn't want to work with me.

Around 6:30 PM, after a nap, swimming, a nap, and reading in between the lasagna was ready. YUM! It was delicious. Post dinner activities included a big blue birthday cake shaped like a crab. Being that we weren't home the night before the cake portion of my birthday was held on Tuesday evening. The blue cake made all of our mouths look like Gargamel at a Smurf buffet. More swimming, walking on the beach, and relaxing.
--------------------------------------------------------


Wednesday was 100 degrees the water was 67 the only thing to do was sit at the beach, go swimming, and drink lots of water from 10 AM - 6 PM, with some napping in between. C.H. and I gobbled down some steaks from the grill and hit the road to pick up our other friend R.B. He was flying into Norfolk. On the way, other than both of us getting a bad case of the shits, we ran into one of the worst storms I've experienced in a while. Lightening was striking all around and the torrential rainfall slowed travel to about 20 MPH. R.B. called when we were about 40 minutes from Norfolk informing us his flight had been delayed due to the weather. We went ahead and went to the airport to confirm how long the delay would be. It was going to be 12:15 before his plane came in. It was only 9:45, so C.H. and I figured we'd kill the time at the airport lounge. NOT happening. As we walked in, a not-so-friendly worker said "Closed!".

Did I mention that Norfolk airport looks like an 80's shopping mall? Anyhow, we went to a nut hut and the guy there told us about a few bars down the road. Off we went! The bar was beside an egg shop and we nearly drove past it because it was such a hole in the wall. I wish I remembered the name of the place, but I don't. I failed to find out if the bartender was pregnant and glowing, or just fat and oily, either way she was nice. We ordered our drinks and looked around at the place. The walls were covered in the fake wood paneling (again, from the 80's - it's like this section of Norfolk was stuck in a time warp). It reeked of old fryer grease and the lights had plastic orange lantern panels over them. 2 drinks later the bartender informed us that they were closing early to have the exterminator come in. Nice bug infested bar! Just a bit of advice Bar, you'll continue to have a bug problem until they get rid of the fake wood paneling. Bye!

A 24 Hour Super K-mart was near and the house was running low on booze, so we stopped to kill some more time. Asking a worker to point the way to the alcohol resulted in our standing in the health care aisle. Evidently she thought I meant rubbing alcohol! Geez! Finally we find the drinks!

At the airport after C.H. and I ride the people mover back and forth 3 times, I was getting sleepy, so I popped a diet pill, 20 minutes later I can't shut up! Every body coming down the escalator is my new friend and I'm the welcoming committe for Norfolk. "Hi welcome to Norfolk, America's shipyard" "How was the flight?" "Did you happen to be on the flight from Baltimore?" I ended up talking to a limo driver about being a nightowl until R.B. got off the plane.

In the car ride back to Corolla, we coin the phrase: "I eat my dinner with a spork!" and decide it would look great on a T-shirt. (inside joke). Warning, every single gas station with a bathroom from Norfolk to Corolla is closed after midnight! Another exercise in bladder stretching!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loooooove Norfolk. Home of my alma mater. And yeah, the airport? Kinda oldish looking. But you can smoke in it.

Also, isn't the Border Station open after midnight? The rest stops on 158 are all skeezy, so I usually just hold it until we get to the house.

8/03/2005 8:47 AM  
Blogger Darcey said...

Okay, I must be a perv. I'll admit it. Because, between the floating taco and the reference of Gargamel at a Smurf buffet, my mind went straight for the gutter.

And what the hell are you doing taking a diet pill? Honestly?!?

8/03/2005 9:19 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

boozie - I bet there are fun/nice sections of Norfolk, I'll have to check it out more in depth next time.

muse - perv? well, I thought someone might go there, cuz I was thinking that too. The diet pill contained 200 mg of caffeine....it was to wake me up!

8/03/2005 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...what is an egg shop? Is that another way of saying "fertility clinic"?

8/03/2005 9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kmart sells booze? Dude, I got to get back to Middle USA.

8/03/2005 1:34 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

S'okay, I <3 you anyway. Oh, and if you're needing a hit of caffiene, go for the NoDoz or Vivarin. Those diet pills have too many extra ingredients that you don't need!

8/03/2005 5:00 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I think I should have bought some stock in a few alcohol companies. I suspect the amount consumed has driven up the stock price recently...

8/03/2005 6:01 PM  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

Yummy, smurfs.

8/03/2005 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home