Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Chow-Chow Dog Tongue Disease

Did anyone know that when you take certain antacids your tongue can turn black? It's happened to me a few times, but I thought it was changing color for other reasons. For instance it happened to my grandpa when he was switching from Tylox to Morphine (or something). So the first time it happened to me was the morning after I ended up at the Hare Krishna Temple. I figured it was a combo of red wine, ciggs, and Tylenol, because I hadn't had Tylox or Morphine (yet, or something). And even when I had them, my tongue didn't go bonkers. NOW I know it was the freaky Mylanta. Evidently my aunt called Mylanta's hotline after she woke up with a black tongue and they told her it was a normal reaction in some people. Do you realize how disconcerting it is to wake to a black tongue? Good thing I went home alone that night (as if going home alone was a choice). Standing in the bathroom mirror groggily brushing the skank out of my mouth I stuck out my tongue to brush the motha out of it, and slam-bam-thank-ya-ma'am I had a Chow Chow Tongue. It made me wonder if I'd lost my mind and did the worst thing in the world - NO not murder - eating black licorice! SICK! Who made that stuff? Good'N'Plenty candy is nearly the worst thing on the planet. I disected one, and it looked like the inside of sack worms that used to invade our bushes out front. Grody. It should be renamed Gross'N'Nasty Anyhow, I brushed that shit off quicker than rabbit pops out babies and went on with life. I had a black tongue 2 other times, all of which involved red wine, Tylenol, and antacid. Well, what are you waiting for? Inform all your friends of this travisty! Or better yet, mix them a coctail that contains red wine, Tylenol and Mylanta and call it the Chow-Chow, watch as their tongue turns black, then point and laugh!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Darcey said...

Pepto Bismol does the same thing, I've noticed. I think there's a warning about a discoloration or something, but I don't recall it referring to your tonuge. Ew.

8/17/2005 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea either that a black tongue could result. That is gross, but I will keep in mind for future party games!

8/17/2005 11:52 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Bah we know something pooped in your mouth

8/17/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Poop in the mouth! GROOOSSS!

Someone gave me trick gum once and turned my mouth nasty drippy chow chow black. Mean.

That is a good party trick though. Way better than the finger in warm water trick. Hehe.

8/17/2005 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never tried the mylanta. i've done the pepto, but my stomach has apparently since toughened and i've had no use for it lately. the wine...yeah...thats nasty after a few glasses (or bottles or whatever). i've actually spent days trying to get rid of those mouths stains. i agree on all candy counts. those things shouldnt even be considered as candy. they should be removed from any candy shelf at any store, gas station, etc.

8/17/2005 12:44 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Agreeing with sammy, I had no idea of this particular side effect... and I'm surprised... because one would think that with all the people I've partied with, someone would have brought it up if it were a common ailment. Black tongue - That's so weird!

I don't do antacids. I've foudn that 2-4 ounces of milk is just as effective at coating my stomach liner and neutralizing any wickedness attacking my beer drinking ability. It works with wine, too... for me anyway. Got Milk?

8/17/2005 10:11 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

the muse - black tongue is fun at halloween, but during regular living, not so much.

sammysue - I'm glad you heard it here first (you know from the most reputible source available) ;)

rich - considering my mouth probably already smelled like poop, a cat may have thought it a liter box, dropping off some poop loops while I was passed out.

allison - trick gum's the best! I feel the need to try all these tricks this weekend!

video - the mouth stains are entertaining for others though. when people laugh and their teeth have turned black, I can't help but laugh with and AT them.

rachael - maybe it's not so common, and only runs in super cool freak families like mine. my gpa, my aunt, my little cousin, and me have all experienced it. I've tried the milk, but it doesn't work. Zantac 175 is my new favorite at curing the ol' grouchy stomach, of course, I was fighting off ulcers by 7th grade, my stomach proably looks like Swiss Cheese now.

8/18/2005 7:30 AM  
Blogger erl said...

That's awesome. I'm going to have to try that and freak people the F out.

8/18/2005 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate, hate, hate Gross'N'Nasty's.

My roommate in college drank Cherry Cream Mylanta as a dessert when she was pregnant. I never noticed her chow-chow tongue, though.

8/18/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

now I want to try that concoction just to see if I'LL get a black tongue....neato! black licorice is absolutely horrible....how do people eat that crap? have you ever done any of those black licorice tasting shots? (actually I think Jager is one of them) it's some nasty shit!!

8/18/2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I didn't realize Good N'Plenty was still around. I used to love that stuff growing up.

We once had icing on a cake that did the same thing. It made for a very interesting birthday party seeing all of us with dark icing all over our lips.

8/18/2005 7:37 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

erl - it would be an excellent trick on a date you didn't want to be on..."I'm sick, check out my tongue".

boozie - it sounds like your roommate had a major lack of calcium.

webmiz - Yup, those licorice tasting shots are the worst and those are the one's everyone likes to buy around here. Weirdo's. Lemme know how your experiment goes!

fred - so far you're the only commentor to like Good'n'Plenty's, so chow down on them brotha! That icing sounds fun, what's the recipe so I can make it for my next work potluck?

8/19/2005 7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G&P's are sooooo nasty and busted up when you said they look like a sack of worms - totally agree! Black licorice is the worst candy ever made! Very funny about the tongue and looking like a chow :).

8/19/2005 12:48 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

AfromABQ - We should all protest the manufacture of licorice! It will be the next presidential campaign platform.

8/19/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Tommyblaze said...

I had a black tongue once - no wait...that was someone else.

8/21/2005 5:10 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

tommy - I've probably had it more than anyone I know, of course, the ulcers, the acid reflux - they contribute to my antacid need.

8/22/2005 7:00 AM  
Blogger inbuffalo said...

Check out info about the Chow Blue Tongue

Chow Chows Revealed Chow Chows | Chow Chow Dogs | Chow Puppies

10/28/2005 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home