Friday, August 05, 2005

TRIP: FriSatSun - July 29-31 - Drinks, Rain, and Drive

Friday was a day to explore the islands of the Outer Banks. CH, AM, KC, RB, and I went on an excursion that started with us sitting in a traffic jam. We went about 20 miles in 1 hour. Evidently Friday is checkout time for a ton of rentals. By that time it was around noon and our stomach's were screaming for food. A local North Carolina BBQ restaurant called to us from its shanty like existence and we answered. I'm not quite a BBQ expert, but I'd have to say I'm close, and this place served up excellent pulled pork BBQ sandwiches! Though I don't recall the name, I'll always remember the location for furture vacation hunger stops.

More driving South led us to this lighthouse, I was impressed. Those photos aren't available yet. Back in the car, we try to find the Lost Colony of Roanoke, end up on a 3 mile long bridge, and get lost our selves, so that site remains true to its name. Time to head back to the house for a nap! I must give props here, KC cracked me up the entire time, and I don't think I've laughed that much in about 10 years.

After the nap the whole house goes up the road for a seafood dinner. At least 1/2 hour passes before our orders are taken. Most people are grumbling abou the service. Oh well, the beer is GOOD! I decided to delight my taste buds with crabcakes, my favorite seafood dish. Most other people are breaking shells on crab legs and peeling shrimp. Personally I think all that looks nasty. Shell fish needs to be battered and deep fried before I eat it.

With our stomach's applause it's time for the bar. Nobody can agree on a place and only 6 of us wanted to listen to the jazz band playing at Pub (I'll just call it that, because again, I don't know the name of the place). So PUB has many hot ladies walking around, most of them with boys already leading them or following them. However, I was able to talk to a couple of recent college graduates that had moved to OBX 2 weeks prior. Nice. Other than that, the guys tried to rescue CH from a Toyota salesman that just wouldn't stop talking to her. A couple hours later KC came to gather our drunk asses up and go to the house.

At the homestead I changed into swim trunks, jumped in the pool, then the hot tub, then went to the beach.....and I think it was 5 AM before I got to sleep. (Groan for the next day).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday was cloudy and gross and I was sad to have to leave. I went to the beach for like 20 minutes, went to the pool for an hour, then changed. A few of us still needed to buy souvenirs and went to Wings to satisfy that need. Some people went golfing in the rain, I rented Napoleon Dynamite, and others walked on the beach. After packing and cleaning......I was ready to go home by 10 PM. I went to bed for a few hours of tossing and turning, waiting departure at 7 AM.
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Sunday, 6 AM wake up call. Shower, pack the vehicle for depature, and off we go. I'm sitting back in Columbus around 6:30 PM trying to stretch the kinks out of my neck and back from the many head nods in the car. Home sweet home. My roommate didn't make it home until 11 PM. Evidently one of the people traveling in their car got sick and had to stop at Urgent Care. What a long day for them.
*****************************************************************
And so it is the end of my vacation recollection. I want to thank everyone that stopped by my blog this week and now I can get back to my normal comments on all of YOUR sites hee haa ahaahaa haahee (evil laughter).

13 Comments:

Blogger Darcey said...

I'm glad you had fun, but I'm even gladder (so not a word, but I don't care) that you're back. :)

8/05/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What is it with lighthouses? I don't think I get it. Is it cuz of their picturesqueness (also, so not a word)?

The whole trip sounds like a blast, though (excepting the car salesman and the Urgent Care). Welcome home.

8/05/2005 10:29 AM  
Blogger Tim Hillegonds said...

Golfing in the rain or Napolean Dynamite. That's a tough one but I think you made the right choice. "I offer you my protection."

8/05/2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

The Muse - Making up words is fun (funner) than anything! I'm glad to be back and appreciate the warm welcome! PS: Did you get the makings for Mojitos? I'm vicariously drinking through you tonight!

Allison - I guess for most it's the picturesqueness (great made up word, BTW!). For me, however, I like heights, spiral staircases, views from the said heights. I've always had an obessions with skyscrapers/towers/turrets/lighthouses. They're just super-cool!

timmortal - the other factor $90 for golf or $5 for a DVD rental...hmm. "The worst day of my life, what do you think?"

8/05/2005 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ruined a perfectly good white tank top while eating Sooey's BBQ in Nags Head. It's now got four differently colored and differently sized BBQ sauce stains on it.

8/05/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Boozie - that sounds so familiar that may be the place we ate! At least you have a nice reminder of an excellent meal and vacation whenever you wear that shirt!

8/05/2005 12:10 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

No, I didn't make it to getting the mojito makings. But that's only because I decided to hash instead. And that had readily available alcohol. I'll get it tomorrow before I go tubing down the river.

8/05/2005 1:10 PM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

outer banks traffic on the weekends is the WORST TRAFFIC EVER. unless you rent a place from, like, a Tuesday-Tuesday instead of Saturday-Saturday, coming and going is PURE HELL. Now we go to other beaches because the traffic just doesn't seem worth it...especially when you're driving the whole way to PA!

8/05/2005 1:30 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

The Muse - Tubing, tubing, tubing on the river...not quite like rolling on the river, but tubing's d'bomb!

Webmiz - Sounds reasonable. Our rental was Sunday-Sunday, but dealing with traffic still sucked on Fri and Sat when the other people were moving in/out. It's nuts!

8/05/2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Rachwell - Ha! When the boss says that, this line has always worked for me: "FORGET IT!" Of course that may be way I've been in a dead end job for nearly 3 years....(sigh).

8/05/2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

A most excellent recollection of a vacation that indeed required the consumption of many drink and fine food. It is a relief to get the vacation story completed, isn't it?

8/05/2005 10:19 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

With all the alcohol, I'm surprised you could recall anything at all!

8/06/2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Rachwell - Well, if he's a good guy, then I SUPPOSE I could take my laptop, but those kind don't exist at my company. ha ha.

Drink Jack - Yes! Such a relief. I started getting sick of recalling my own vacation!

Fred - Had I gone with a more party oriented group, I'm sure I wouldn't remember this much, but they were slightly conservative, so I drank less!

8/08/2005 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home