Wednesday, August 10, 2005

You Wanna Piece of Me....HOLE?

Yesterday, 10 plus miles, 2 honks, 3 hoots/hollers, 5 CD dropping incidents, 4 blisters, a rubbed raw IUTA (i-oo-t-uh) [Inner Upper Thigh Area}, and soaking wet clothes ended my evening walk. After walking the 2.29 miles to and fro work (total 4.58 miles), I decided I hadn't exercised enough so off I go again. Of course, I over do EVERYTHING I take a hankering to. One of my friends started a new retail job down the road, so I thought I'd go visit her and benefit from the 90 degree sunny weather in terms of UV rays adding to my ever darkening skin and multiplying moles, which most likely will be skin cancer in a couple years. Anyhow, Columbus has a lack of sidewalks, so for a few legs of the journey(s) I'm forced to share the under-construction 2-lane roadway with motor vehicles, RUDE and obnoxious motor vehicles mind you.

I'm not sure if the honks were people being friendly to pedestrians, or if they were just trying to make me feel dumb for walking, but I know the hoots/hollers were for the shirt I was wearing. Sauza Tequila. On the back is a stop sign that reads "If it feels good, don't stop, Sauza Tequila". My deductions lead me to believe those hooters and hollerers were drunk drivers. Thanks for NOT running me over in a drink induced coma, Your Unlawfulness!

I walk the 3 miles to this place my friend works, and she's not even there. Which is fine, because the walk was for health. But it was slightly disappointing not to be able to say "hi". Oh well. The phone works. 3 miles back to my house. I pass a total of 6 people walking. 6. That's it. No wonder Columbus ranks amongst the fattest cities in America. It's pretty discouraging to discover the car oriented mentality of this region. It bodes badly for EVER getting a convenient public transit system in place.

Ok that was a lot of complaining. The many good things I've found other than the physical benefits:

1) Walking lets you take in the scenery and it actually puts things on a comprehensive human level. When you see the trees, flowers, landmarks, etc. for more than just a blur, as they are in a car. It gives a grounded belonging feeling. I think the isolation of always being in a car "bubble" is bad for my psyche. I like to feel a part of things, I love being in the now, not worrying about getting someplace. Walking removes the stress of always being in control of the 20k piece of machinery that a false move, or someone else's mistake can cost you tons of money. Just in the past couple of days my shoulders and neck are noticeable looser.

2) I find myself remembering and thinking about things I probably would never recall due to visual memory queues. For instance. It rained on Monday morning, causing tiny toadstools to grow. Naturally, my first thought was to pick them, eat them, and hope they were shrooms - what a fun day of work that would be - but I didn't. Instead, it reminded me of these enormous toadstools that used to grow in a pine grove behind my grandparent's house and how the neighbor kid and I would use them as GI Joe shelters/battlements. What a joy it was to smash that fungus when my army anhilated his, or vice-versa. Yup, there was a fungus amoung us.

3) It gives me wind down time from work (again, de-stressing).

4) There are a couple of sporty ladies that run past me every morning! I've smiled at them and said 'hi', but they're so focused they keep going. Actually, I think that's the impression they want to give me. But what they're really thinking is "oooo he's the hottest thing since sliced bread became toast and I want him, but he wouldn't go for a jogging girl. No, not with those love handles and man boobs. I guess I better eat some more to be in his league so he'll notice me".

Uh, perhaps too much oxygen is causing delusions .........or was it that toadstool that practically tore itself from the ground and jumped in my mouth when that hole in the ground grabbed my foot and threw me down. You wanna piece of me, ....Hole! Don't make me get some top soil and FYI (fill you in)!

Song of the day: "When My Ship Comes In" Clint Black (though instead of the Rockies and Colorado, insert Appalachians and Ohio).

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao @ hottest thing since sliced bread!!!

8/10/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger erl said...

that title is soooo sexy.

8/10/2005 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee! thats hilarious. i'm absolutely positive that's exactly what they are thinking. perhaps they dont stop cuz when it's humid out, and running, if you stop...you might puke, or it's hard to start again. that's just my experience. however, i'm sure they would risk it all for some young thing as hot as you described yourself! i just usually like to tell people i'm a flat-chested big fat ass. that's my favorite.

8/10/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Tim Hillegonds said...

There's nothing like a little walk with some shrooms to make you figure out that dating a jogger would suck. If the hi how are you approach doesnt work with the hottie joggers, trip them. I guarantee they will repond.

8/10/2005 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So a mushroom orders a drink at the bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, but we don't serve mushrooms here." Completely devistated, the mushroom replies, "Are you sure? Because I'm a fun-gi."

Sorry, I must still be drunk from last night.

Song for the day would have to be "Every Day is a Winding Road".

8/10/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

*spexial* - a little old time slang there ;)

erl - like that, do ya? I'll sell ya the copyright if you want. Price negotiable in pesos.

vx - heck if we ever ran down the same road, as we describe ourselves, the whole city would be lining up to get a look at our hot selves!

timmortal - that's one way to make them "fall" for me. (ba-dum-dum) "Don't EVEN get me started! I'm here all week folks"

weeee! - I love that joke for its Corn Factor! Heck as long as you can still type, you must not be too drunk!

8/10/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

that was great... walking is good. All those exhaust fumes, I mean oxygen, must feel great.

Plus, you're doing your part to reduce America's reliance on foreign oil. I always said that Americans have plenty of fuel, but we store it in our asses, which makes drilling difficult.

8/10/2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

rachael - Yup, we definitely have a lot of gas in our asses, but the lard's there for the duration.

musie - you're welcome...wait a minute. Giggly....have you been eating toadstools too? Share please!

8/10/2005 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey WOW. i just got the title. i didnt get it at 1st. couldnt figure out why everyone liked the title. i'm going home now, if the lights dont distract me on the way out.

8/10/2005 5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Inspired...I took a walk today! No mushrooms, though. I did, however, find 231 million pieces of gum, 46 piles of poo, and 4 homeless people. So, there's that.

And, yo, it's HOT up in here!

Tell ya' what. I challenge you to a walk-off. Every day you walk to work or wherever, I will go for a walk too. Like a geeky-blogger Buddy System. You in?

8/10/2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'd take a bicycle or car next time. Your adventures may be hazardous to your health.

8/10/2005 6:56 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I say this from experience, to really impress those jogging ladies you need more than just love handles and man boobs. Go for the badly in need of a shave look and maybe add in the strange guy talking to himself appeal. They will cross the street.

8/10/2005 7:38 PM  
Blogger DrinkJack said...

You are walking EXTRA now? Whoa, I felt a little light headed there. I could have swore you said you walked an extra six miles there.

Keep it up, surely the temps got to break in the next few months or so.

It is amazing to see all of the things that are missed when you drive by.

8/10/2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

becky - as long as it's not 95 with 99% humidity, I'm a'ight to do anything but sprints, and sodding the lawn. Thanks for the props and also for the compliment regarding the title!

vx - lights are really cool if you squint your eyes it makes these lines radiate out in all directions...what are those things called?

allison - "CHALL-ONGE" (remember the Bill Cosby episode? Good job on the walk! I accept your Geeky-Blogger Buddy System challenge! Well, I walked to work today...so put on your most comfy corn covers and make tracks!

fred - WHAT! If you knew my driving record you'd definitely tell me to walk!

rich - SHOOT! I just shaved today too. Maybe I should also release my bladder and colon while walking past....that whole Pre-Caveman/animalistic thing might work!

jack - I was seeing stars when I bent down to pick up the CD player the last time I dropped it....so lightheaded is right! The more I think of it, the more I don't like driving and feel society would be better off with trains/trolleys/bikes/etc. It would definitely reduce some of the weight problems in America.

8/11/2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*thhhhhuuck!* That is the sound of the ball bounding off my racket back at ya'. I walked home from work yesterday - and most likely will again today.

8/12/2005 10:17 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

OK...I'm a couple days late in commenting on this post, but I just found your blog through Allison's. I have to write something because I'm am sitting here at my desk and my legs feel like they are going to fall off. I walked 15 miles last night and I want to kill myself! I'm training to walk the Portland Marathon...the idea of crossing the finish line, getting the medal and rose and glory is great, the idea of dying while trying?...not so sexy!

8/16/2005 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home